Thursday, November 8, 2012

Open Letter to the United States

Dear U.S.,

I’m not from the United States (though I love your beautiful country), but I can’t say as though I’m a completely impartial bystander with this whole election business.  I had a clear favourite and I’m pleased with the outcome (as pleased as one can be when only given two choices).  I am, however, going to try to remain impartial here because I have a message for the people of the United States that transcends a four or eight year term in office.

Overall, I’ve been absolutely disgusted with some of the behavior I’ve seen both before and after the election.  (Did we really make fried chicken and Oreos into a political bargaining tool?!  For the record, I don’t eat fried chicken because I’m a vegetarian.  I do, however, eat Oreos because they’re pretty darn awesome.)  

There have been downright vicious arguments and attacks all over Facebook.  Someone writes in their status “I’m happy Obama won” and that status garners responses that are so atrocious I won’t repeat them here.  Um, don’t you have freedom of speech?  I don’t think it’s a crime to be happy about the outcome of an election and to voice your opinion.  I even saw a few people’s profile pictures flying an inverted flag: a sign of distress. Clever way to show how you feel, but you are not in distress.  If you live in the United States, were able to make it to the voting polls and then post about it on Facebook via your iPhone, you are NOT in distress.  Get some perspective. 

There has, however, been some comic relief. 

“Obama won.  I’m just going to leave this country… maybe go to Alaska.”  Please pick up an atlas or map.  Did you know that U.S. citizens’ geography knowledge is a joke worldwide?

“If Obama wins, I’m just going to give up on America and move to Canada.”  You are in the United States, we are in Canada.  Together, we are both part of America.  And need I remind you that in Canada we have socialized medicine (and it’s awesome), gay marriage and marijuana. 

It’s easy to point fingers at Republicans for poor behaviour right now, but before you do, look in the mirror and admit to yourselves that had Romney won, you’d be doing the same thing.

Please research the health care reform before judging it.  Many developing countries have subsidized health care.  It’s really wonderful to have your appendix out or have a baby without taking out a loan.  Imagine the burden removed from a family struggling with a loved one’s cancer treatment if they didn’t have to remortgage their house.  I understand there are a few clauses in the health reform that some people aren’t fond of.  That’s fine, I don’t like the wording either… but look at the big picture and the greater good for everyone.  Catch up to the rest of the free world.  If you do some research and still don’t like it, that’s fine.  Be glad you have that freedom to openly disagree, to protest, or to petition your government.

I would like to echo Obama’s sentiments from his victory speech.  The fact is, neither candidate is evil.  They are both men who want what is best for you.  They may have slightly different ideas as to what is best or how to achieve it, but they really do have the best interests of the nation at heart.  Unlike some past presidents, neither of these men seems hell-bent on destruction.  Obama had quite the mess to clean up and he’s done well with what he was given.  It’s time to accept that these are the election results and move forward together.  You, the people, have spoken.   So Democrats, stop gloating.  Republicans, stop whining.    I'm not saying you shouldn't celebrate or complain, but do it with class.  It’s time to unite and make your world, and the world at large, a better place.

And be grateful you can exercise your democratic right to vote.   Be thankful you have that choice. 

Lots of love,

Canada

Me, 4 years ago.  (I know I said I was trying to be impartial, but, so what, I failed.)


1 comment:

  1. Can I just say I love this post for a few reasons!
    A. I have family in Canada and while visiting them as a child I tried to convince them they were "Americans" because they lived in North America and they would be Americans if they lived in South America too... it did not go over so well ;)
    B. I think it is so funny when people talk about moving to Canada because they do not like what is going on... I do point out all the things you point out. Do they really not know that Canada has national heath care!!!
    C. Did some one really say they were moving to Alaska?!?
    D. Thanks for a fun post ~ Erin :)

    ReplyDelete