Tuesday, May 21, 2013

My HK Top 10

A throwback to my first week living in Hong Kong... nearly 3 years ago!


10.  Bills

Already, you must be thinking I’m crazy.  I love bills?!  Well, not exactly, but compared to my bills in Canada, y    es.  In some respects, Hong Kong has a higher cost of living (though really, that’s more of a lifestyle change I made when moving here- organic foods, fancy restaurants, taking too many taxis… you can still live cheap in Hong Kong, if you want to) but bills are just cheap no matter what!

The following prices are in CDN/US:

-Internet (high speed, wireless, 10x faster than anything even offered in Canada, unlimited bandwidth) $20 per month
-Phone (4000 local minutes, 2000 international minutes, unlimited data, call waiting, call answer, etc.) $17 per month
-Gas $11 for 3 months
-Electricity… haven’t had the first bill yet (was included in our old place) but rumour has it it’s very cheap.
-Income tax… well, I never had to pay income tax in Canada because I never made enough money (pathetic, right?) so any amount of payment seems scary for me, but in HK, you pay on a sliding scale (2% on the first $5300, 7% on the next $5300, 12% on the next $5300 and 17% on the rest). Husband is a good tax deduction too!

9. Nightlife

I'll buy a drink for the first HK person to correctly guess where we are.
So, I’m not super big on going out all the time (getting old), but when I do, I like to do it right.  Hong Kong is one of those cities that never sleeps.  When we go out, we typically start with a nice dinner and end with the sunrise.  What happens in between?!  

Beer Goggles? (Actually, I don't drink Guinness)

Dancing in Lan Kwai Fong (LKF), pub hopping in SoHo, hanging out in “The Coliseum” (a large outdoor casual hangout area between LKF and SoHo where people drink cheap beer from 7-Eleven), 2am foot massages, putting on the ritz at private member clubs, late night beach parties, karaoke, you name it!  Speaking of karaoke…..

Saturday night on the main street in LKF
8. Karaoke

It’s very different from back home.  In HK, you rent a private room with your friends, so there is no audience.  Admittedly, I miss the audience a bit.  I have just recently found a karaoke bar that is about a 10 minute walk from my apartment.  For less than $20 CDN, I can rent a private room, with WiFi, a computer, crazy amounts of karaoke, and free drinks (and slightly more for a buffet, if you happen to be into seafood).  What?!  That sounds awesome!  Is this for one hour?  Two?  No!  It’s for the entire night!!!  Until 5am!!!!  I just found out about the place last week and stayed until midnight on a work night (ooops).  I think I’ll become a regular.  It’s close to home, and gives me some “me time” while doing something I love.

7. Location, Location, Location

Hong Kong is a main hub for the rest of Asia.  You can get to so many different countries with just a quick hour flight and $100 (CDN).  Since living here, I’ve been to Macau (2x), China (4x), Thailand (2x), Taiwan, Singapore, Cambodia, Malaysia, India and South Africa (ok, so that last one isn’t a quick flight or $100, but it was still closer and cheaper than it would have been from Canada).  I love to travel so this is definitely the place for me.

6. People

Honestly, I’m not much of a people person, but Hong Kong people are alright in my books.  (Bring on the generalizations…)   Unfortunately, Hong Kong has a reputation for having some of the rudest people in the world, but it’s all just cultural misunderstandings.  I find that Hong Kong people are just friendly enough, without being overbearing.  North Americans struggle to fill silences with benign small talk.  Here, there are comfortable silences between both friends and strangers.  There is no ‘in-your-face’ attitude but people will still be blunt and truthful if they’re close enough to you to matter.  If you're slightly antisocial like me, Hong Kong offers a very refreshing take on interpersonal relations.     

5.  Waffles

When you think Hong Kong, waffles probably aren’t the first thing that comes to mind.  But Hong Kong street vendors have THE BEST waffles in the world (sorry, Belgium).  They are hot off the waffle press with a thin layer of butter, smothered in peanut butter, and drizzled heavily with condensed milk.  Then they are folded in half and eaten like a taco.  How disgusting is that?!  Disgusting, but delicious.  Sadly, I lost my appetite for these delicacies about a year ago because I saw a woman in Yuen Long stirring a large vat of waffle batter with her entire arm, elbow deep.  Ewwww! 

4. Kung Fu

My first Kung Fu show, in Beijing
I fell in love with Kung Fu in on my first trip to China 2.5 years ago.  I wish it wasn’t too late in my life for me to become a Kung Fu master.  My students are so cute.  They do Kung Fu performances at special school events throughout the year.  Some of them are actually really good.  I like the day of our school Christmas party.  This is day each of the 25 classrooms in our school are full of food, laughter and decorations. It is also the day kids are allowed to bring their Kung Fu swords to school.  I’m just hoping my kids will be interested in it.  I want to raise tiny martial artists.

Kung Fu at the class Christmas party

3. Neighbourhoods

Sunrise view from my rooftop terrace

You can get off the MTR (subway) at any point and have surprises waiting for you.  Sometimes you might find yourself on a busy main street, dwarfed by intense skyscrapers.  Other times, you may find yourself exploring a narrow cobblestone alley bartering for antique treasures (both real and fake antiques).  A short bus ride from an MTR station could bring you to vast wilderness, mountains, snakes and monkeys.  Or you could end up in a quaint local park, complete with koi ponds and pagodas.  My own neighbourhood is quite local.  It is very far removed from the typical pictures you see of Hong Kong.  I like living out here though.  It gives me a break from all the craziness and I am not surrounded by other expats, making me feel like I’m living in Anycity, USA.  (Although living in Central would certainly have it’s positive points that can’t be said for living in Yuen Long: convenience, entertainment, food, etc.)  And living out where I do, there is more chance of encountering (and taking part in) a random lion or dragon dance!



2. Junk Parties

This is when fellow expats gather everyone they know (and everyone their friends know), pool their money, and rent a large wooden yacht (known as a junk) for 8 hours.  The junk travels about 1 hour each way to and from a deserted location (but for the other junks) and then anchors off a tropical beach for 6 hours.  This is a time to drink, eat, talk, swim, etc.  The best junk ever was one that I organized last year, when a shark joined the party.  EVERYONE loved it (honest, it wasn’t just me)! 

View from a junk (taken by my husband)... I have a tonne of junk pictures, but I didn't think people would appreciate pictures of themselves in bikinis on my blog.
1. Black Rainstorm Days and Typhoon Days

I bet you never expected to see me put something about storms as #1 on a list of things I love!  Well, this is my first black rainstorm day and so far, it’s great.  I woke up at 4:30 in the morning and was absolutely terrified by the thunder and lightning.  Those who know me well know that when there is a storm, I revert back to my inner three year old, cry, rock back and forth and hide under my blankets until it goes away.  So at 4:30, I decided to get up a bit earlier for work so I could wait for a cab in the lobby instead of taking the 5 minute walk to work.  To my surprise, I woke up a few hours later to a Facebook message from my co-worker saying work was cancelled due to the ‘black rainstorm warning signal’.  Yay!  I can now bask in my pajamas all day in the comfort and safety of my living room.  Outside, however, a black rainstorm means that we are getting more than 70 mm of rain per hour, with heavy gusts of wind, and lots of thunder and lightning. Yuen Long also has a flood warning.  I was hesitant to put this at #1 on my list because while I am safe in my 39th story penthouse, I know there are people in small village houses, lean-to homes made of aluminum, and floating villages hoisted up on bamboo poles in the sea.  So despite the fact that I’m enjoying this day off work, let’s hope and pray that everyone can remain safe and dry today. 

****If you’d like to hear about any of these Top Ten in more detail (complete with lots of pictures), let me know and I’ll do a whole blog entry on it.  Umm, don’t choose #10 though.  It’s a boring topic and that’s pretty much all I have to say on the matter.****

No comments:

Post a Comment